Hi Canyon Residents,
Today begins national Fire Prevention Week. In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan.
Here are this year’s key campaign messages:
- Draw a map of your home using the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) guide below with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit. Note that one exit will usually be a window, and so for multi-story residences, escape ladders would be required.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
This and much more information can be found on NFPA’s Public Education website.
Stay tuned for additional Fire Prevention tips throughout the week!